Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tisha B'Av in America

I've been in Israel pretty frequently since 2008, and yet I've never been there for Tisha B'Av. I think that is the only...major Jewish something I haven't experienced in Israel yet.

Weird.

Like every Tisha B'Av, I go to shul [synagogue] and hear the Megillat Eichah [the Book of Lamentations] being read. Then I go home, try to stay up as late as possible so I will sleep late the next morning (so as to pass the day better...), go to sleep, try to figure out something to pass the time until it's nighttime and I can eat.

It seems like a pretty pathetic way to pass the day. I'm not a horrible faster, but I'm not usually great either. I get grumpy and snappish and just not a lot of fun to be around.

Tisha B'Av should be a day of mourning, reflection, and introspection. The Second Temple was destroyed because of baseless hatred, and you see all tons of articles and posts on Facebook written about how to increase the love within the Jewish community and "baseless love."

It;s hard to imagine the world with a Beit Hamikdash. Maybe that's a tragedy, and maybe that's also what we should be mourning, but I just...can't seem to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment