Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The not-so-joys of passport photos and the joys of the Internet

I need lots of passport photos. Two for the Jewish Agency and three (four?) for NBN. Passport photos are very expensive-- $8 ($9? I don't remember which, but I think $8) for two. Since I need six and two come per set, that's 3 sets (Sara, aren't you proud of me? I'm doing math!). 3x$8 = $24-- for six photos. Really? Even Costco is what-- $5? But that's still $15 AND I have to get (read: drive 20-30 minutes) to Costco, whereas Rite-Aid, CVS, and Walgreens are within walking distance. I could print them myself, since my mom has a photo printer-- but it standardly prints 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, or a standard sheet of paper. Note how none of those are 2"x2" required for US passport photos or 35 mm by 45 mm required for the NBN photos.

Enter ePassportPhoto.com which is a wonderful website that lets you make passport photo-sized prints. You follow the requirements for a passport photo (see the US government guide here or the NBN guidelines here), upload the picture you've taken to the site, follow the instructions, download the picture (or they can print it for you/send it to Walgreens for printing), and bring it to anywhere that prints pictures and it's something like $0.18 or $0.20 per print. And you get 5 US or 7 Israeli photos per print. That would be known as a helluvalot cheaper. And if you sign up for their photo club or whatever you get free prints. And it's even cheaper like that! All you pay is tax!

I know how I'm printing my passport photos. (MLIA.)

No comments:

Post a Comment