Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving

I spent a good part of my Thanksgiving Day putting aside stuff to take to Israel (see previous post). The evening before I had a Tweenties Thanksgiving with about 10 people which was so nice.
This past Shabbos was my last Shabbos in the Heights before I make aliyah. Kind of weird. I'll be back here, but not for Shabbos.

It's starting to come down to the "lasts"-- even though it's still a month away, it's starting to get into "last this," "last that" and I'm feeling it. I'm getting into "Will I need this for the next month?" and "What do I need until the summer?"

It's very weird-- packing up my life, 24 years of it. Technically-- but really, I've been cleaning out stuff every so often; most of my high school and college stuff I've gotten rid of. My OT stuff I've cleared out as well. Books...goodness, I don't even want to think about those...I have so many...I don't know how I'm going to decide what to take and what to leave here (at least until I ship stuff). And kitchen stuff! I cook! I bake! Am I going to be able to do this in ulpan?

I'm one of those people who had a blender (small), microwave, sandwich maker, toaster oven, cooking utensils, and service for 4 (dairy, meat, pareve) in her dorm. I am definitely going to be getting stuff when I move into Beit Canada. I have to remember to pack that stuff, too...

I have 5 suitcases:
1. Spring and summer clothes and shoes --> A & Y
2. Fall and winter clothes and shoes --> Me
3. Night stand (yes, "night stand"...it's coming now if it fits in the suitcase), clothing overflow --> Me
4. Dishes (box maybe) and random stuff--> A & Y
5. Books (box probably), random stuff, and non-crucial papers--> Me

Note to self: Pack the dishes with soft stuff too, like towels and clothes...
Note to self 2: Do you REALLY need all those shoes?

Someone remind me to make a packing list of what I'm putting in each suitcase because I forgot to do that to the one I left by Rita and Dov last winter.

Carry-On:
Bean and charger
American and Israeli cell phones and chargers, USB cable
Papers (originals-- NBN says bring original birth certificates, passports, diplomas, transcripts, as well as copies)
Clothes for the wedding (including shoes)
Extra change of clothes (including socks and underwear)
Toiletries: make-up, lenses, deodorant, mousse
Book or 2
Food. Yes, they feed you-- I'm bringing some of my mother's food.

No comments:

Post a Comment